Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Oscar-Winning Filmmaker Of 'Music By Prudence' Tackling Religion In Africa With Next Project | Shadow and Act

Oscar-Winning Filmmaker Of 'Music By Prudence' Tackling Religion In Africa With Next Project | Shadow and Act
On of 8 international projects selected to receive a piece of the $150,000 in documentary finishing funds from the 2012 Gucci Tribeca Documentary Fund, is God Loves Uganda, directed and produced by Roger Ross Williams, produced by Julie Goldman.
Described as a journey into the heart of East Africa, where Ugandan pastors and their American counterparts spread God’s word and evangelical values to millions desperate for a better life. Inspired by his own roots in the African American Baptist church, director Roger Ross Williams seeks to explore a place where religion and African culture intersect.
I'm intrigued.
Filmmaker Williams says this about the project: 
"I am interested in the exploration of religion in Africa, with the goals of understanding and healing. I am the son of a pastor, the brother of a pastor and I spent my life growing up singing in the gospel choir of my family church. I want to get to know, and comprehend African cultural views. I want to explore the Western media’s portrayal of Africa. I want to know what it is about the lives of the Ugandan people which inspires such deep faith. I want to make a film possessing complexity and depth."
Like I said, intrigued and it's a project on my watch list.
The project was also 1 of 24 documentary film fellows representing nine film projects to participate in the 2012 Sundance Documentary Edit and Story Labs, so it's a project that's off to a great start.
Nothing to look at yet, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Williams' last film, Music by Prudence (which was set in Zimbabwe) won the 2010 Oscar for best documentary short. You have to remember him, or at least remember the moment when he went up to the podium to receive his Oscar, and well (if the above photo doesn't mean anything to you), this happened...

No comments:

Post a Comment